Spain is not only well-known because of the food, beautiful scenery and "Sevillanas" but also for having one of the most popular football leagues in the world. Who out there has not heard of Real Madrid and Barcelona? Undoubtedly, two of the best teams in Europe! Many tourists visit Spain only to attend matches in this league. Some even plan their holidays around the major ones.
If you like soccer and you'd love to know some interesting bits about this huge sport event in Spain, keep on reading!!
- Soccer is considered the most important sport in this country. Spain has more than 800,000 federated players and more registered clubs than most European countries.
- The first season was played in 1928-1929. It was only interrupted during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939.
- Only in Scotland can we find a similar rivalry to that present among Real Madrid and Barcelona. The teams are Celtic and Rangers and they have played the end of their league for 26 years.
- Madrid has 32 titles, Barcelona 22 and Atlético de Madrid, 10. This last team has become in recent years a strong rival in the league.
- Atlético de Madrid is the team with the biggest win of the League (12 -1) against Barcelona in 1931.
- The first champion of the League was Barcelona and Real Madrid was the first team that used ridges.
- The Spanish Football League was first broadcasted in television in 1954. The match happening was Real Madrid-Racing de Santander at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in Madrid.
- Real Madrid has the goal record: 121 goals since 2011- 2012 season.
- Nine teams are the only ones to have won the league in 84 editions: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atlético de Madrid, Athletic de Bilbao, Valencia, Real Sociedad, Betis, Sevilla and Deportivo.
Will you be the next one to attend a match of one of the best leagues in Europe? With this information up your sleeve, you can now consider yourself an expert in Spanish football :)